A special thank you to Jeremy McClellan, Director of Global Accounts,Travel Industry for The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company. Jeremy has worked with The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company for 10+ years. In his current role, he manages customer relationships with the travel industry community along the East Coast… and has been a huge asset for Ron Phillips Travel. Jeremy has graciously allowed us to reprint this article he penned.
Guten Tag meine Damen und Herren,
As some of you may know, I grew up in Germany in a small town called Garmisch, just about 30 minutes north of the Austrian border. While I was very fortunate to have been able to travel throughout Europe as child and grow a greater appreciation of various cultures…clearly where I developed my love of travel…I wish I had of spent more time in Austria, and specifically Vienna. My exposure to Austria consisted of skiing in Stubaital or Kitzbuehel and of course, watching and re-watching (at least 1,000 times)…The Sound of Music with Julie Andrews. Love that movie…but I digress….
The forward thinking Austria of today takes its lead from its dynamic capital city, Vienna, that straddles the past and the future through a beautifully orchestrated adjoining of old world charm and architecture and modern day design. Very much like The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna
The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna is located on the Schubertring, which is Vienna’s most appealing address. Consisting of four very historic and unique palais that have been expertly adjoined, this is the only hotel in the city offering a glimpse to Vienna’s historic and protected architecture with a modern twist.
• Guest rooms are located on 8 floors and once again, because the original structure is four historic palais that were adjoined together…I encourage you to EXPLORE, EXPLORE, EXPLORE. This hotel offer such depth in the structure. From winding staircases that lead to beautiful ceiling frescoes, to grand hallway doors carved out of hard wood to beautiful fireplaces….there is so much history to take in, without even setting foot outside the hotel door.
• Featuring one of the few Guerlain spas in Europe; The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna is the perfect leisure destination. Vienna is absolutely a walking city and one will need to retreat to the confines of the pool (perfect place for napping listening to the water) and of course, the spa for revitalization.
• Featuring an exclusive Club Lounge, you will enjoy the delicious food and beverage presentations paired with beautiful local wines. My favorite part of the Club Lounge is the Haribo Gummi Bowl…yes…I am a Kid at Heart!
• Lobby Lounge Melounge at The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna offers a delicious new experience for guests who love chocolate. It’s chocolate time and a very exclusive selection of hot chocolate is served by a Chocolate Sommelier.
• DSTRIKT is the upscale, yet casual restaurant at the hotel. The food and beverage concept of the restaurant will be changing in the very near future and will become the city’s only high end steak restaurant…perfect for the American consumer!
• Plachuttas Gasthaus zur Oper. Address: Walfischgasse 5-7 – For the very best Wiener Schnitzel and Kartoffelsalat (potato salad)…a true Vienna tradition!
• Show your support for Team Sacher Torte or Team Imperial Torte by being neutral and staying at The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna. Both of these delicious cakes are surely not to be missed…but why play favorites!
• OPERA! With history dating back to the mid-19th century, The Vienna Opera House is not to be missed. Enjoy a show..either inside the theatre or sitting outside in the sun via large LCD screens. For the historical romantic in all of us…be sure to recommend The Opera Ball to your customers taking place on the last Thursday of Fasching. Fasching is like Carnival and a beautiful time in Austria!
• Visit the gorgeous Albertina Museum at Albertina Platz adjacent to the Sacher. This gorgeous museum currently has a beautiful installation featuring the artistic work on Matisse, Andres Derain, Georges Rouault, Maurice de Vlaminck and Georges Braque on display until January 14, 2014. On permanent show is an exhibit entitled “From Monet to Picasso.” The Albertina is just one example of the art scene that comprises the DNA of Viennese culture
• Use the CAT! The City Airport Train is very much like the Heathrow Express in London. This train takes you directly from Vienna International Airport to Land Strasse (Wien Mitte) where you can connect one stop to Stadt Park adjacent to The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna. There is not a more convenient way to reach downtown Vienna.
• Visit my friend Kitty! Kitty is a beautiful and very friendly Lipizzaner horse who performs at the Spanish Riding School of Vienna. I am sure that each of you know of the famous Lipizzaner’s and their amazing shows that can be seen by tourists on weekends, displaying classical dressage. What you may not know..is that the Lipizzaner’s were originally brought to Vienna by Hapsburg Emperor Maximillian and they were considered “foreign” because of their Spanish ancestry. It became common in Viennese dialect to refer to all things “foreign” as being Spanish…and this trend holds to present day!
• Perfect for Incentives: Planning a Europe bound incentive? The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna is an ideal venue. I toured the meeting space and I must tell you…the ballroom pays homage to Swarovski!
• The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna invites you to enjoy Viennese High Tea at EUR 27 per person: Enjoy Austrian ham on white toast, Graved salmon, cucumber, whole grain bread, Liptauer cheese, radish, white toast, three different Bundt cakes and Petit Fours.
I sincerely recommend The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna if you are traveling to “The City of Music.” The engaging staff at the The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna will absolutely take care of you … and ensure that your visit to Vienna stays with you!
Warmest regards, Jeremy
copyright (c) 2013 by Ron Phillips Travel LLC – luxury travel and consultancy. All rights reserved. If you have comments on this column, or questions about booking travel, Contact Ron Phillips Travel