The legacy of Cunard…
It was a more civilized era, the Golden Age of Ocean Travel. Crossing the ocean was a grand event unto itself, the very embodiment of sophistication and privilege. And traveling Cunard was what one naturally chose for such a voyage. Cunard’s glorious ocean liners were floating palaces of art deco splendor and Edwardian excess, surrounding guests with every comfort and elegance. They attracted the greatest personalities of the day, from world leaders to movie stars, who sipped champagne at festive black-tie soirees and strolled along graceful promenades attired in their finest apparel. It was the quintessence of luxury travel, and getting there was truly half the fun.
For over a century and a half, the iconic ships of Cunard have been defining sophisticated ocean travel. They have always been The Most Famous Ocean Liners in the World.
Cunard continues this celebration of style with Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria – and proudly expands this heritage with Queen Elizabeth – proving once again that, with Cunard, the journey may be even more magnificent that the destination. We invite you to take your place in the rich heritage of ocean travel, and write your own classic adventure tale.
Cunard is renowned for offering luxury cruises and fascinating itineraries. In 1840 Sir Samuel Cunard provided the first passenger transatlantic cruise and to this day Cunard are still the only cruise line to offer a regular Transatlantic Cruise schedule between Southampton and New York.
You will receive exceptional service on board all of Cunard ships. Through their famous White Star Service, they deliver a level of comfort and style, unique in today’s world. From the signature white glove greeting at embarkation, to the personal attention of a room steward or butler, this understated and impeccable standard of service embodies Cunard Line’s elegant traditions.
Cunard Line is the most iconic British liner company in the world sailing flagship Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria
• Cunard honors its British heritage by maintaining traditions on board, including a traditional English pub, white-gloved afternoon tea service and Royal Nights themed formal balls
• White Star Service is at the heart of our delivering an onboard experience that is legendary, elegant and memorable
• Cunard offers traditional butler service in the Queens Grill Suites
Cunard ships offer a fantastic fusion of tradition and innovation. Cunard is one of the oldest names in luxury cruising but also has the youngest fleet at sea. Guests revel in formal evenings and Royal Night Themed Balls where they can dance in the largest ballroom at sea on Queen Mary 2 and relive the golden age of ocean travel. But, you can also enjoy the only planetarium at sea and an award-winning enrichment program. Queen Victoria was the first ship to offer private boxes in the theater on board and on Queen Elizabeth you can enjoy croquet and bowls on the Games Deck.
On a Cunard ship you can be sure that you will benefit from plenty of space and no overcrowding. There is a wide selection of entertainment throughout the daytime and evening in a variety of different rooms to ensure that everyone is catered for. And, if you are enjoying a luxury cruise in sunny climes, you won’t go short of a sunbed.
Accommodations – Cunard Queens Grill & Princess Grill Suites
Imagine a travel experience where, as you arrive into your sumptuous Queens Grill Suite with private balcony, your butler appears and assists with unpacking your case. Throughout your stay your concierge arranges memorable excursions with minimal fuss. Every evening, wherever you may venture, you are greeted personally in a dining venue which rates alongside the finest in any major city.
Should the mood take you, a sumptuous spa, magnificent theatre and countless other entertainment possibilities are only ever moments away. Welcome to the award-winning Cunard Grills Experience. This is the way that royalty, heads of state and celebrities have travelled with Cunard for many decades and which continues to set the standard for refined elegance today.
For guests in the luxurious Princess Grill Suites, the delights of the Grills Experience are more pronounced than ever before. Catch the sea breeze on the Grills upper terrace reserved for the exclusive use of our Grill Guests, or relax in feather-soft terry robes on your own private balcony, charting your position in the atlas. Your lavish suite occupies up to 513 square feet, with flourishes that include personalised stationary, a Bon Voyage bottle of wine, fresh fruit and concierge service – there’s even a pillow concierge to ensure you sleep soundly. Guests dine at a reserved table in the single seating Princess Grill Restaurant.
The Queens Grill takes everything that is so wonderfully indulgent about our Grills Experience and raises it to exalted new heights. Luxuriate in your own secluded haven of up to approximately 2,131 square feet featuring marble bathrooms and whirlpool baths. An expansive private balcony commands impressive sea views, perfect for sipping champagne or curling up with one of the books on offer. Refrigerators are stocked to your preferences; your concierge or butler will gladly attend to your every whim. Guests dine at a reserved table in the single seating Queens Grill Restaurant.
Cunard ships have three main restaurants serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. The accommodation you book for your cruise will determine the restaurant you will dine in. For more information about this please read Choosing your accommodation.
- Queens Grill Restaurant – Guests staying in Queens Grill accommodation dine here. Evening dining is anytime between 6.30pm-9.00pm.
- Princess Grill Restaurant – Guests staying in Princess Grill accommodation dine here. Evening dining is anytime between 6.30pm-9.00pm.
- Britannia Restaurant – Guests staying in Britannia Balcony, Oceanview or Inside staterooms dine here. When you book your luxury cruise, you will be asked to choose from either main seating at 6.00pm or late seating at 8.30pm for your evening dining. The time you select will be your dining time throughout your cruise.
- Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth also have the Britannia Club Restaurant – Guests staying in the AA accommodation category dine here. Evening dining is anytime between 6.30pm-9.00pm.
In addition to the main dining restaurants, there is the option of Kings Court on Queen Mary 2 or Lido Restaurants on Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth which offer a more informal buffet dining experience open 24 hours. Afternoon tea is also served daily in the Queens Room Ballroom and room service is available 24 hours.
You may choose to dine in one of our alternative dining restaurants for a unique experience, or to celebrate a special occasion. There is a cover charge payable in these restaurants.
Every day on board a Cunard ship is full of a wealth of entertainment and activities to participate in – all included in your luxury cruise fare. Each evening your stateroom steward will deliver the following day’s Daily Program to your stateroom. The Daily Program is your schedule of ship activities and daily entertainment events. These can also be collected from the reception desk on board.
Each evening discover entertainment in the magnificent on board theatre. Including Cunard production shows, comedians and vocalists. These are performed twice during the evening to accommodate all guests and different dining times.
What to Wear?
Daytime attire – The general atmosphere on board all Cunard voyages is elegant, but relaxed. Although shorts and bathing suits may not be worn in the ships’ main restaurants, casual attire (excluding brief shorts) is welcome during the day at the Kings Court on Queen Mary 2 and the Lido Restaurant on Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth. Bathrobes, bathing suits, brief shorts and exercise clothing should be reserved for poolside lounging, deck activities and the Spa Clubs. Guests are required to wear shoes and outer garments when passing through inside public areas.
For Shore Excursions, you will need to pack a range of clothes, depending on your itinerary and the climate of the destinations you will be visiting. Remember to respect the cultural dress norms of your hosts when visiting shrines, temples and churches.
Evening attire – One of the great thrills of a Cunard voyage is the sheer glamour of the evenings. Evening attire for the ships’ main restaurants, effective from 6.00pm, will be specified in your ship’s Daily Programme and will be required to dine in the restaurants.
Casual clothing is permitted each evening in the Kings Court on Queen Mary 2 and the Lido Restaurant on Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth. Suitable casual clothing for these two restaurants would include trousers, shirt and a jacket for men, and skirt or trousers with a jumper or blouse for women. Please note that you will not be permitted to wear shorts or t-shirts in the restaurants after 6.00pm on any night (regardless of dress code category).
On a typical 7 night luxury cruise you can expect 3 formal evenings, 2 semi-formal evenings and 2 elegant casual evenings.
- Formal: Black tie or formal dark suit for gentlemen. Evening dress or other formal attire for ladies. Military or Award Decorations may be worn on formal nights. A range of gentlemen’s formal wear is available for hire or purchase on board.
- Semi-formal: Jacket and tie for gentlemen. Cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies. No jeans.
- Elegant Casual: Jacket, no tie required for gentlemen. Dress, skirt or trousers for ladies. No jeans.
Don’t worry if you forget something as our shops on board carry a wide range of leisurewear, formal clothing and essential items.
Entertainment and Leisure
Each day with Queen Mary 2 provides you with a wealth of engaging experiences. Waltz across the largest ballroom afloat in the footsteps of legendary stars of the silver screen. Broaden your horizons with a variety of Cunard Insights lectures and stimulating workshops. Or, unwind in the exclusive Canyon Ranch SpaClub, the most luxurious spa at sea. A Transatlantic cruise on Queen Mary 2 provides the perfect opportunity to fully engage in the wonderful entertainment programme on offer with seven days to do exactly as you please.
- Afternoon Tea – Indulge in this truly British tradition. White-gloved waiters serve decadent fresh scones with cream, finger sandwiches and premium tea in the Queens Room.
- Mayfair Shops – Enjoy extraordinary shopping from top boutiques and brands such as Harrods and H.Stern, in addition to exquisite jewellery, high fashion and further voyage souvenirs.
- Book Shop – Shop at our beautiful bookshop and souvenir shop, specializing in nautical literature, posters, postcards, collectibles, and memorabilia. Many voyages feature book signings by renowned authors and lecturers on board.
- Empire Casino & Gaming Lessons – Step into the Monte Carlo-inspired Empire Casino that offers a full variety of opportunities to tempt Lady Luck. Gaming Tables, slot machines and even video poker. Not sure how to play? Then take part in our complimentary gaming lessons.
- Images photo gallery – Browse the Images captured by our Photographers on your voyage in Images photo gallery. Whether a formal portrait session, at the Captain’s Cocktail Party or at the gangway, these pictures of you and your fellow guests are all displayed here for you to view and purchase. The photography team also produce a voyage DVD to capture the memories of your time on board.
- Computer Center – Self service computers are available for guest use so you’re sure to stay connected during your voyage. WiFi hotspots are also available in public rooms and areas throughout the ship. Charges apply for internet and email access.
- Clarendon Fine Art – The Art Gallery features originals and lithographs by great 20th century masters such as Dali, Chagall, Erte and Picasso as well as renowned contemporary artists such as Alexandra Nechita, Howard Behrens, Martiros and Bill Mack among others. Our knowledgeable Art Director is available to provide information about the artists and their work.
- RADA Acting Workshops – The RADA actors offer guests the chance to share some of the training they received during their 3 years at this famous drama school. Each workshop lasts 45 minutes, and is creative, informative – and fun! Workshops include Finding Your Voice, Filling the Space and Speaking the Speech.
- Cunard Insights – Explore a number of historical and contemporary issues presented by a wide range of speakers including explorers, academics, former ambassadors and politicians, historians and scientists, novelists, biographers and award winning actors and film makers.
- Book Club – The Cunard Book Club offers the opportunity for thought-provoking literary discussions among our guests each voyage. It is led by the Librarian who will provide a short history of the author and lead the discussion.
- Cunard ConneXions – Cunard ConneXions offers a programme of activities all day every day from watercolour to computer lessons, wine tasting to ballroom dancing as well as bridge and board games.
- Maritime Quest – Recall ocean travel’s golden heyday at this unique exhibition located throughout the ship’s corridors and stairwells. Unveil Cunard Line’s proud history from Samuel Cunard’s first venture across the Atlantic in 1840 to the building of Queen Mary 2. Wander through the years and photographs of the aristocrats, nobility and celebrities who have graced the decks of Cunard’s ocean liners during our magnificent past.
- Illuminations – Take a virtual ride into outer space, view the stars and other visual spectacles or take a course on celestial navigation in Illuminations, Queen Mary 2’s full-scale Planetarium and the only Planetarium at sea! Each day sees a new show to tantalise your imagination. It also functions as a grand art deco cinema, a 500-seat lecture hall and even a broadcasting studio.
- Music – Sit back and enjoy the sounds of the harpist or the string quartet in the Grand Lobby or the orchestra in the Queens Room.
- Movies – Enjoy a first-run feature each afternoon and evening in Illuminations. You’ll also find a selection of movies throughout the day on your stateroom television.
- Library – The quality and range of literature available in this beautiful room magnifies the stunning views over the bow. Linger over more than 8,000 books, in the largest library at sea. Ask our Librarian to help you find your favorite authors, from Tolstoy to Jackie Collins.
- Canyon Ranch Spa – Cunard is proud to offer the most distinctive spa experience at sea.
- Golf Simulators – For those with a passion for golf, our state-of-the art golf simulator with its 51 golf courses to choose from is a must!
- Deck Sports – Master the traditional nautical games of shuffleboard and deck quoits. Challenge friends to a game or join in one of the tournaments advertised in the Daily Programme.
- Swimming Pools – There are a total of five swimming pools on board Queen Mary 2, including the Terrace Pool on Deck 8, The Minnows Pool especially for children on Deck 9, the Sun Deck Splash Pool on the top of the ship and our most popular Pavilion Pool on Deck 12 which features a retractable dome for any weather!
- Gymnasium – Our Fitness Centre has views out forward to the covered promenade deck. Open from 6am, feel free to run the treadmill, take to the bikes or try the step machines all before a hearty and well earned breakfast.
- Promenade Deck – Wake yourself up with a brisk walk or jog around our promenade deck. Three laps make a mile.
- Sports Courts – Sports enthusiasts can enjoy an energetic game of tennis on the courts on deck 13.
- Fitness Classes – Choose from a range of activities from relaxing Yoga and Pilates sessions to more energetic ‘Funk Aerobics’ and Spinning classes
There is so much happening each day on a Cunard Cruise. if you like, we could send you more information!
Iwould be happy to coordinate your Cunard Cruise experience; please contact me! I’ve have achieved the prestigious Commodore status in the Cunard Academy Training program, thus certified as Cunard Line experts for booking travel on the company’s flagship Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria and new liner Queen Elizabeth. As a Commodore, I join an exclusive group of travel professionals who are now recognized by Cunard at the Academy’s highest level for their unique qualifications and knowledge as a voyage planning professional.